Since 1912, Johnston, Allison & Hord has been a part of Charlotte, North Carolina.
We trace our roots to Claude Cochran who began practicing in Charlotte in 1912 (in the old Law Building). He was joined in the practice of law by Frank McCleneghan in 1924. Together they built a thriving practice and contributed to the community.
With the addition of Bob Lassiter and Tommy Miller, the firm grew to four lawyers - the perfect size, in the opinion of the founding partners. After the deaths of Claude Cochran and Frank McCleneghan and the arrival of Morry Johnston (1966) and Jim Allison (1971), the partners continued their "no more than four" policy.
The 1980s saw our firm evolve as we broadened our practice through a policy of controlled growth. By the end of the decade, we had grown to 15 attorneys.
In 1997, our law firm officially became known as Johnston, Allison & Hord. Our firm continued to grow in numbers during this decade (23 attorneys total by 1999) consistent with the concept of controlled growth.
During the 2000s, the country and the Charlotte area saw much change, starting with aggressive growth and ending with an economic downturn. As some firms closed their doors and others experienced layoffs, our philosophy of controlled growth proved successful. We did not grow for growth’s sake, but primarily out of necessity for our clients. We were right all along.
In 2006, we moved to our current location at 1065 East Morehead Street. Our firm has grown to approximately 45 attorneys, and we are privileged to serve clients that have been with us for many decades.
2012 is the centennial of our law office, and our focus has remained steadfast: on quality legal service for our clients.
We have seen many things in the past 100 years – war, economic growth and economic uncertainty, changes with regards to civil and women’s rights, and the growth of what was once a small town known as Charlotte.