For more than a quarter of a century, health law has been one of Johnston,Allison & Hord’s core practice areas. We represent hospitals and other healthcare institutions, as well as physicians and group practices.
In recent years, the Health Care Practice Group has been involved in the reorganization of a major health care system, which included the formation of a parent holding company and qualifying it as a non-profit tax exempt entity; successful management of IRS audits of a major tax exempt hospital; the acquisition of a 130+ bed specialty hospital; the acquisition of over 15 physician practices; the creation of a primary care physician organization of more than 130 physicians; negotiation of a lease/operating agreement for a 250+ bed long term care facility; the formation of joint ventures between non-profits and for-profits; the development of medical office buildings; the creation of a managed care network of over 400 physicians; negotiation of managed care agreements; advising a hospital system on the construction of a 100+ bed satellite hospital; and handling of health care-related litigation matters.
The Health Care Practice Group serves clients throughout North and South Carolina.
Members are active in the Charlotte community and in local, state and national health care professional associations.
Areas of Concentration
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Physician Contracts, Physician Compensation and Gain Sharing
- Managed Care/Capitation
- HMOs, PPOs, Point of Service Plans
- IPAs & Physician Networks
- Taxation Issues & Revenue Rulings
- Tax Exempt Financing
- Provider Networking
- Physician Hospital Organizations
- Integrated Delivery Systems
- Fraud and Abuse
- Hospital and Professional Liability Coverage
- Compliance Programs
- Medical Staff Bylaws & Medical Staff Issues
- Peer Review Matters, including Litigation
- Antitrust Issues
- Employment Law
- Collection of Overdue Accounts
- Commercial Real Estate and Construction