Tel: 704-998-2232 | Fax: 704-376-1628
Download vCard | Download Bio
John has been with the firm since 1983. He serves as counselor and advisor to business owners and boards of directors, as well as personally handling all aspects of acquisitions and sales, corporate finance transactions (from structuring through negotiations) key documentation and supervision of closings. He represents large institutional clients, middle market companies, entrepreneurial businesses in a variety of matters, including mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, restructurings, strategic alliances, internal reviews, ownership succession matters, crisis management, executive compensation and other sensitive matters through every life stage of a business. He works extensively with limited liability companies, partnerships and non-profit business entities.
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Commercial Transactions
- Nonprofit Entities & Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Health Care
- Professional Services
- Wake Forest University (B.A., History,1980)
- Wake Forest University (J.D. cum laude, 1983)
- North Carolina, 1983
- Manufacturing Clients: full service representation for manufacturing clients in the machinery, textile, plastics and material fabrication industries.
- Health Care: full service representation for large multi-specialty physician practices and single specialty physician house-based medical practices, including negotiating house-based physician service agreements, governance documents and coordination of solutions to regulatory and compliance problems related to billing, reimbursement, and structuring joint venture / service / management relationships among physicians and hospitals.
- Distribution Industry: full service representation for clients providing sales and service for products distributed throughout North America, including negotiating offshore manufacturing relationships in China, other Far East country providers and South and Central America; providing representation to foreign manufacturers from Canada, Central America, Germany, Japan and England for distribution of product in the United States and the Southeast region of the United States. Also works with clients in the wine and malt beer distributing industry.
- Construction Industry: full service representation for businesses in the construction industry including handling all corporate/transactional needs for general contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers.
- Professional Service Firms: In addition to representing medical providers, clients include law firms and professional consulting firms (including accounting firms, architectural and engineering firms and computer software installation and maintenance firms).
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA ranked attorney for Corporate/M&A (2014-2017)
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2013), Health Care Law (2013-2017) and Non-Profit/ Charities Law sections (2017)
- North Carolina "Super Lawyers" - Mergers and Acquisitions (2011-2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Business North Carolina "Legal Elite" (Business 2007, 2012, 2014 and 2015)
- Recognized as one of Charlotte's top attorneys in Charlotte Business Leader Magazine (2008)
- Member, Board of Directors, Meritas Law Firms Worldwide (2003-2006)
- Member, Southeast Benefits Education Network (current)
- Member, North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys (current)
- Member, American, North Carolina and Mecklenburg County, Bar Associations
- Member, Levine Museum of the New South Board of Directors (2006-2012)
- Member, Teen Health Connection Board of Directors and Board President (1999-2003)
- Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Foundation Board of Directors (1998-2000)
* CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc. used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.